Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day Three

Quito is getting there. She did not growl again, and we are working on her territorial issues from the very beginning. Before we go working in the city, we usually let her run free, and the coach tells me what she is up to, when to call her or when to simply change directions, so she is standing on her own. That is when she has to make the decision whether to go her own way or to follow the pack. And since she is a bit of a softy, she most likely will choose the second option.

She now accepts the treats out of my bait bag. I had her focus one in the morning, moving it from her right to the left several times before she could have it, and from then on she has taken my treats and actually eaten them. I still call her an eating philosopher. She walks up to her food slowly and eats equally slowly, as if she were thinking of the sense or joy of every single bite.

In the city we crossed many streets and encountered a few dogs. Interestingly, Quito will avoid barkers and only try to aproach the quiet ones she considders friendly. It is good to see how she starts really listening to my commands more and more each time we go out.

This day we took a long lunch break at the hotel. In the afternoon we drove to a huge shopping mall. Quito does not like slippery floors, so we went for a lengthy stroll, also exploring a pet shop. O wonderful those fur coats or leather looks for purse dogs, the designer collars and leashes that cost a fortune, I wstill fail to see the use of them, I admit. But we did not find the dog treat we were looking for and only one dog bed that would have been apropriate for Quito's height. I did, however, find a flexible leash, and the coach bought some cat treats.

At night I finally used the room telephone, as the mobile network connection is non-existent. It is so good to hear people's enthusiasm as I call and tell them about Quito, that she is different from Hapoo, but that we are working well together. Even the obedience works well.

We do not have formal obedience sessions. It is rather a part of the daily routine, like sitting before release, lying down when I have food and only getting up when I tell her so, and not when the coach gets up. She listens most of the time, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home