Sunday, February 21, 2010

o/t: Hapoo off to new adventures

Hi everybody:
 
We have worked on this for about a month, and finally, with the help of one of my customers from work, Hapoo has found a place to really enjoy the rest of her life.
 
We had talked on the phone and even postponed an earlier meeting due to heavy snowfalls in the country, but finally the roads were navigable, and a couple left their home some 500-600 kilometers away from me to arrive around 11:00 am this morning. He is a driving instructor, and she works at a supermarket.
They immediately talked and petted Hapoo, and we had a cup of coffee. Then he decided to take her for a walk and was pleased with the way she behaved on leash. Then we had a fish meal, which even he enjoyed, though not being a great lover of that food. But he said I had prepared it very well, and I must say that I was really pleased with the way it turned out. Mom had told me how to prepare it, and I even managed not to burn the onions. I even had to share the recipe with the wife. They are a great couple. He is very sure of himself, thinks and plans things to make sure they are successfully carried through, and she is the more emotional, the two of us share the same name.
 
The sun was shining, but I had decided to send Hapoo home with them this very day. So I picked up Hapoo's paperwork and vaccination book. And then I packed up a farewell snack package for her,, like every caring long time partner would. Of course, she will share it with her new partner in crime and adventures, a two-year-old Hovawart mix, considderably heavier and taller than her, named Candy.
 
And then it was time to say our quiet goodbyes. Hapoo was expecting no good, she was lying by the balcony in the sun, when I gave her a quick belly rub and encouraged her to get up to be put on leash. then she was taken away fairly quietly after another hug and an attempt to stay here.
 
Of course it was hard, and the place is so quiet, without a single sigh from the Hapoo's corner, but friends helped me, and the sun allowed for an inspection of my balcony flower boxes, where I managed to remove some of the ice.
 
Spring is coming, I have received many phone calls today, and tomorrow night I will have to prove that it is possible to get lost in a small building when there's no Hapoo to show the way to the little staircase I need to find.
Despite my own sadness I am convinced Hapoo will be having a few more years left in good care and leisure. Just like she had her Grandpa to teach her new things in life, she will be another young dog's mentor now. I will overcome the quietness of these rooms, be lazy and hopefully manage to go swimming one of these days, before travelling to meet Quito and get accustomed to her ways of doing things, and working safely as a team with her.
Cheers, Chris (without Hapoo)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home