Tuesday, March 02, 2010

habitual hearing

Hi there:
 
Good news:
 
The Hapootalks weblog and the Hapootalks list will remain in place, and there will be no cange of names. There are two possible reasons, between which you can choose.
 
1. The linguistic aproach:
Hapoo is Persian and means "doggy", or more closely in its German translation, as it is used for toddlers in imitation of the bark, "Wauwi". Therefore it is justifiable to call quito a hapoo, a Wauwi/doggy.
 
2. the emotional aproach:
Hapoo has been my first guide, the founder of this weblog. She has shared many stories with all of us from her point of view. In her memory the blog will keep the name that we are all used to.
 
 
Allright, that's that. Moreover, I have decided to step in and share my own news, feelings and adventure of the two dogs while Hapoo can no longer report and Quito has not learnt how to do the job. But once she knows the art of keyboard thumping, I'll step back respectfully, of course.
 
Have you encountered the following phenomenon? I don't know if it happens to the sighted people, too, wiith their eyes playing games on them, or if it's just my brain having fallen into a habit.
It's been a week now since I came back here without Hapoo. When I went back to work without her last Wednesday, my brain played back the sound of her greeting people, whenever her favourite humans aproached or passed by. Whenever I heart a metal chingle, my brain fooled me, making me think it was the bell on Hapoo's collar, putting me on alert to follow what she was up to. When I was at home going from livingroom to bedroom, I heard her getting up from her place, taptapping to follow me. And after I have moved from one room to others frequently, tidying up or getting ready to work, and then sitting down on the couch to relax, I thought I heard her getting up to come and put her head on my knee for pets.
 
It's been here for so long, and I could write a piece of music about Hapoo's little noises now that they're gone. I really wonder, do eyes see something in its old place even after it is gone, or are the ears and brain playing such a mean trick on me only? These are the hardest moments, plus those when I am tempted badly to take the short leash and tell Hapoo "up" to go somewhere together.
 
And even though it is wonderful to be able to be lazy and not have to go out in this dreadful autumn weather that has followed the major snow, I cannot wait to have Quito at home, so there's life in the apartment.
Cheers, Chris:-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi after ages. one thing is for sure, you are not the only one suffering from the "desease" of hearing what is not there anymore. I experienced the same when being with you. Looking forward to keeping on reading soon. cdeb88

16/3/10 10:11  
Anonymous Chris_e said...

Thanks CdeB88, that is so good to know, and it's great to have a dog back.

20/3/10 13:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home