Friday, June 28, 2019

Turbo speed update

Hi everybody, Chris writing.

 

Long time, no writing/seeing/hearing/reading, but you know that we’re alive and kicking.

Much has changed over the past four years.

Micki has moved places, Mr Sun and I have started playing blind tennis, and Quito quickly learnt to tell the difference between ours and her tennis balls.

She got tired of work, so two years ago it was time to retire her. She went to live with the great Ramona and her friend Max, the little yellow lively fellow, where she could guard property, protect it from monstrous cats, dig holes to her heart’s content, take baths in what was thought to be the birds’ drinking and bathing basin, sleep and play, go in and out as she liked.

I will not forget when Ramona picked her up, she carried Quito’s bed to her car, and quito yelled after Ramona to wait for her.

Retiring her was much easier than retiring Hapoo, because I knew Quito was healthy enough to have a few more happy years ahead of her.Quito and I followed slowly. However, the apartment was quite empty then, and silent.

There was not much time to look back, as I had boxes to pack, and I had the trip to the doctor’s office to be completed with cane only – quite a challenge, but I was proudly successful. Yet another occasion to show me that travelling with a dog is much smoother and faster.

Boxes and boxes and more boxes filled our apartment, and where Quito’s bed used to be there was space to put even more. We were preparing for the big move. Quito had been there twice, and guided us there the next time around, when we had things to do there. However, I did not want to put her through the stress of having to adapt to a new apartment, new resting spots and new routes, so the time to retire her was perfect.

The move to the new apartment was done fairly smoothly, except that the company had too few people to do it all in one day, so half a week later they returned to do the rest of furniture assembling. Dining furniture had arrived, which we had chosen in summer with Dirk and Anna, friends we had found through Quito and tennis. With Micky I had bought some great lounge furniture for the dining room, which also arrived. And finally, the kitchen moved in. The shop owner had taken his time to show me everything. I was impressed by his work and ideas, and he was impressed by my ability to visualize, my knowledge of kitchen planning and my allover contribution. I thought of good lighting, wanted the wall cabinets to have doors that opened in a particular way, and he chose kitchen appliances that I would be able to operate. And now, after the kitchen had moved in, we had a wonderful, modern kitchen.

Micky showed us elementary routes to bakery, supermarket and light train, and then we were left on our own, with more boxes to unpack, but a good foundation laid beneath our feet to start walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home