Wednesday, December 18, 2002

The ears in comparison…

Ears are not as easy to compare as feet, for the difference is not numeric or functional, but the shape is much different. The matter is further complicated looking at dogs ears. My own ears, as you may know by now, are floppy soft ones. Look ad grandpa Ajax and you will find that his long ears are standing up. And when he listens intensely, the tips of his ears are meeting in the middle of his head. Other dogs have, which I find really strange, one standing and one floppy ear. I don’t know the use of that, but I know this phenomenon exists. And then the shapes vary too, dogs can have small or big ears, long or short ones. Their use is always the same: hearing.
I noticed that humans, too, use their ears to receive sound, just like us. But apparently humans don’t have as wide a range of hearing as us. I hear somebody passing somewhere, but Chris sits still and thinks nothing has happened. Don’t misunderstand me; human ears have different shapes as well, but not as significantly different as you may watch it on dogs. Chris covers her ears when it is cold, but she never offers me an ear cover. I might not need it so much, but Ajax with his standing ones might be happy about such an offer, especially since he lives outside all the time. Or maybe, which is more likely to be the case, humans are just softer and more sensitive about cold. In my training school I used to live in a compartment of the dog area that was not heated, even during winter. Here the heater is on every day of winter, and Chris has a lot of hot tea. She wears warmer shoes and even puts shoes on her hands, although she does not walk on them.
You see, there are strange differences between dogs and humans, however you turn the issue. I am only looking at them from my point of view. It would certainly be interesting to find out what humans think about those things. So you go and think while I get a fresh bone with a bit of meat on it, yours cheerfully, Hapoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home