Wednesday, July 08, 2009

a weird experiment

Hi everybody:
 
I know I am behind, but I hope what I have to tell is interesting. The week was quiet and not eventful after that wonderful day with the furry Basti dog. But Chris wouldn't be Chris if she didn't come up with weird things to do.
 
one day at work the man on wheels, Daniel, who never forgets to greet me, mentioned that in his car he had a wheelchair for a friend of his. Chris asked if she would fit in that, and he confirmed that. So apparently the idea was born that she could try to drive a wheelchair. I don't know what is so exciting about that, but when we all went down to Daniel's car, Chris was excited. Daniel unpacked the wheelchair, and chris asked if his friend wouldn't mind.
 
Daniel was funny, he said his friend didn't mind that he, Daniel, had picked up the wheelchair, so he shouldn't mind the first test to be driven by Chris. She doesn't fit into Daniel's wheelchair, because he is way smaller than she. After he had clicked in the wheels, Chris really sat downinside that chair. She told me to sit down and stay, and then she took off.
 
She really drove the wheelchair across the parking lot and seemed to enjoy it a lot. When she was too far away for me to keep an eye on her, I left my place and ran to her rescue. She took me on leash, but she says I walked too near the wheels, so she handed the leash to Daniel, who really kept it tight. I had no chance to escape.
 
Chris says it was weird to get stuck in a pavement crack and not be able to get out on your own. So she had Daniel push her until the wheels got grip again. It was a wheelchair where you can move the wheels with your hands, if you are a human and have working hands. I am just thinking if there are people with non-functionning legs, why shouldn't there be ones with hands that don't work? But I am really relieved only chris' eyes aren't working, so I can step in and replace that loss as much as I can. She's got the feet to walk with me, and the hands to hold on to the harness and to pet and feed, and the mind to always make sure she is the head of the team.
 
Finally Daniel showed her how to remove the wheels, and she loaded them into his car, and he left without us. She says that was an interesting experience, and she thanks him for it. I am really heppy we didn't take that wheeler home, trust me, and we walked there as usual.
cheers for now, Hapoo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home