Saturday, February 05, 2011

Chris goes military

Hello to all readers of Quito's weblog:

She has been so kind to give me a free posting spot, so I can tell you all
about our trip, the part where she was left in the car.

We weren't mean or anything, but a boat built for military purposes is
narrow and steep to climb into. We would have had to carry Quito inside, and
even there she wouldn't have enjoyed it.

True, we were met by a Captain, who showed one oof my colleagues the
restroom first. When she looked insode she exclaimed:
"Oh allright, this looks like a house boat, which I sometimes spend holidays
on!"

The Captain took us to the "office, where the Captain sleeps, but where the
higher ranked staff have their meals, and where he has his office at the
same time. When the third lady was back, he gave us a very interesting
introduction. He told us that this type of boat was used already in the cold
war, and the main focus was power, performance and placing arms on it,
before the people operating it came into the eqasion.

We were told about the current mission of this type of boat, about the
hierarchy and organization of the staff and their various tasks, also talked
about other international missions where our army is currently involved,
before headding out to explore the entire boat.

It is hard to describe what we saw. We started at the engin controls, the
navigation and communication deck, also went outside to see the outside view
point, where one person has to stay all day - not really pleasant in the
current weather, cold temperatures, storm and rain. I decded that this was
the job I would like the least.

We saw the rooms where the engins are, and where they can be navigated,
should the need arise. They weren't running full force, but I imagine it
will be far noisier when they are. We saw the place where the ammunition for
the canons and the hand-held arms were stored. Right underneeth that there
is the food storage, which we thought was quite a lot of fun. We all agreed
that the cook has the most important task on a boat - for if the food is
good, folks are in a good mood.

We saw the place where the canons are, and we were also allowed to look at
the living spaces for the staff - amazingly tiny. My own apartment would
hold all of the 36 staff, and they'd feel comfortable, I'm sure. And then
imagine going to sea and having no real private space, except for your own
bed, that must be a major challenge!

We also saw what the Captain called the brain of the ship, where the head
officers have the best overview of the situation, can access all navigation
and geographical data and agree on necessary actions. The technology,
setting it up and keeping it in flawless shape, must have been a challenge.
The boat is stuffed with technology, of course - fascinating!

I think we only missed one part, because both my colleague, who had
initiated this interesting day out, and I both thought about Quito. We were
taken outside using a steep exit, but I had fun climbing up and down through
the narrow doors and aisles. Both my colleague and the Captain were great
guides and pointed out potentially dangerous spots.

Outside, while playing with quito, we also discussed a few general points
related to the current state of the military and the army's reputation,
which was very interesting. The Captain had interesting views and shared
insights that are nice to know. Generally, I have to compliment him. He
quickly picked up where I needed hints, explained everything so wonderfully
that I could picture it, and wasn't afraid to let me climb up and down
ladders and step up and down narrow doorsteps. He offered his hand where
necessary, so I could stand and climb stably, as did both my colleagues.

I really enjoyed this experience of a guided tour of a boat that is actually
still operating. Of course, seing my colleagues was just as nice, and the
fact that one of them remembered our talk from way back in June was
fascinating to begin with. I had trouble remembering that we had talked
about seeing a boat back then, but was really thrilled when she called to
confirm the date.

Well, I'm off to work, I hope you have enjoyed this read, cheers, Chris:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home